Hindsight is 20/20, as the saying goes.
Reflecting on the
last five to seven years of my life has proven this to me. Now normally, this
phrase implies a feeling of regret or disdain about chances squandered or
situations that could have unfolded differently. This weekend, however, has
given new meaning to this phrase for me.
100 years ago, a fearless and stubborn group of Benedictine
Sisters set out to create an inviting, challenging and spiritual environment in
which to educate women. They desired to foster womens’ creative and
intellectual minds and send them to put their spirituality into action in the
modern world. And the College of St. Benedict was born.
Throughout the last 100 years, the school has cultivated an
on campus community drawing young, talented women from all corners of the
globe, to engage in meaningful learning to be carried out to impact the world. It
has created a close-knit network of more than 21,000 alumnae who are actively
involved in each other lives. And I am one of them.
This weekend, I visited campus to celebrate the college’s
birthday. Reconnecting with generations of alumnae, faculty and staff and
hearing endless stories of women championing issues in their field of study has
been truly inspiring. Awards were
given to alumnae demonstrating outstanding leadership and achievement in their
field. From social work, to neuroscience and even the justice system, Bennies
are making their mark in today’s ever-changing world.
How grand to think that I have the same potential! How uplifting
to think that someone has believed in my abilities enough to allow me to
educate myself at such a place! How inspirational to see other student’s
success and to know I can do the same! What a lucky gal. I feel very fortunate
to have been a part of such a tradition.
A few years ago, I was doing laundry and noticed that all of
my St Ben’s clothing happened to show up in the same load. This coincidence wasn’t
really a coincidence. Was it? Or was it trying to tell me something more? (read more about this laundry episode here).
This weekend’s reunion activities reminded me of this
particular load of laundry and how I hadn’t really figured out what it was
trying to tell me. Dirty laundry speaks loudly, you know. But perhaps now I
have a better understanding of the meaning behind this domestic phenomenon:
My Bennie laundry is a subtle reminder of my underlying
potential; it is a reminder of my call to action; it is a colorful
representation of the supportive and uplifting community of St Ben alums,
faculty and friends who will guide me to success.
Hindsight is 20/20, as the saying goes. But instead of
looking back at my years at St Bens with regret or disdain, I see them as years
that truly shaped who I am. In this sense, this phrase simply indicates a clear vision of my past. Years where I was given the power to do anything I
believed was possible.
No comments:
Post a Comment