Tuesday, July 12, 2011

A world of opposites

It's crazy how back and forth things can be. Only yesterday, the world seemed like a different place. The temperature near boiling point, the stresses and confusions of my quest for employment and housing and some drama surrounding current familial relationships, it seemed the world and everything in it was about to explode. Literally.

Closing up shop at the Habitat office and heading to my car, today's cool breeze blew away the worries of the previous day and afforded the opportunity to drive with the windows down. What a relief! It's like someone pushed the reset button. And it's about time.

Gazing out the car windows when I should have been focused on the road - I hope they don't ticket for that - everything seemed so clear - like the haze had been lifted and life restored to normalcy, whatever that looks like.

The full white moon shone down through the lavender painted sky as bikers and couples strolled along the Franklin Ave bridge. The greenery on the banks was somehow greener, leafier, more natural. Even the squirrels who are usually running rampant in my neighborhood were still for once. Nature was finally at peace with the city - for a night anyway.

All this led me to my moment of clarity amidst all the chaos in my life at the moment. The moon in the sky, the leafier leaves, the bikers in their lane, all is as it should be. All is where it needs to be. I'm right where I need to be. It will all work out. I just know it. And I have to believe it.

I've had these moments before in my life and I'm always amazed by how simple things really are. Each element in life, by itself isn't as complicated as it seems - but when all the issues pile up is when the milk of life can turn from sweet to sour. Managing all the elements of life is the key. Still have some growing up to do around that.

Do people ever really reach a final stage into adulthood where they can still keep calm while juggling work and personal schedules, moving, job hunting, grocery shopping, visiting friend, exercising and sleeping? Isn't there a magic imaginary hoop that once you metaphorically leap through it, you are officially an adult and you have all this stuff all figured out? Where is my magic hoop darnit?!

Maybe it's still a ways off in the distance. Right now, I'm still figuring this stuff out. Stuff that you can't learn in school and that nobody really ever teaches you. You just have to experience it for yourself.

I'll tell you what though. If that hoop is the metaphorical carrot at the end of my stick, I am going to make it my life's mission to jump through it, knowing that I may never get there. And that is a beautiful thing. I'll take the experiences I'm getting now. And I'll reread this post and remember the walkers, cars and bikers crossing the Franklin Ave bridge all telling me the same thing: Sometimes, it's not about the destination. Sometimes it's about the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment