Thursday, July 7, 2011

Just because I can write

I'm a huge fan of reading my own work. That might sound a little narcissistic, but I enjoy rereading and reliving particular moments of my life, feeling each emotion as if I were actually there again, in the moment of inspiration. A sense of pride overwhelms me after finishing a passage I find particularly invigorating, thoughtful, emotional or sensational. Admittedly, I love my writing style. But who doesn't love to toot their own horn sometimes?

For every instance of self-praise, there is definitely an element or two of my writing that I feel require more attention.

As I carefully pore over the words in a post, I critique each line and paragraph and wonder how I could better incorporate more powerful and impassioned words to express myself and to entertain my readers. I wonder if the words, the emotions and the sensations that confronted me during my moment of inspiration come through to my audience: if I'm telling the whole story, offering a complete pictures of the scene I describe or the story I relate - the physical aspects as well as the emotional ones.

So while very entertaining, reviewing my posts means a lot of mental stimulation too, which can be exhausting!

Today, I sit down to write some thoughts out. Put the pen to the paper, as we used to say. Nowadays I suppose it's put the fingers to the keyboard? Anyway you choose to do it, writing can be a therapeutic activity. But it's also just plain fun! So leaving introspection and deep emotional content for another day, I branched out and let the fingers dance as they pleased on the keyboard to see what would come out! And there it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment