Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Snowshoers Inspire and Motivate

"Runners, take your mark! 3, 2, 1, Go!" The piercing shot of a starting pistol was all it took for the freshly fallen snow to fly as runners stormed across the start line.

This was the scene at the 2011 United States Snowshoe Association National Championships at Lakewoods Resort in Cable, WI, a sprawling resort town 20 minutes north of Hayward. This area seems be known for its awesome winter activities. Hayward, for example, is home to the infamous American Birkebeiner nordic ski race, and the Wisconsin Northwoods draws countless visitors to ice fish, snowmobile and snowshoe in the abounding natural beauty of the region.

The latter is what more than 200 trained and ready athletes of all ages and abilities showed up to do on Saturday March 12th. The course brought the racers down sloping valleys, up grueling hills and across a frozen lake with challenging turns along the route. This path was far from easy. Even if you attempted to walk the 10k path, you might find yourself clutching your chest, gasping for breath and cursing at your aching muscles.

The breathtaking scenery of snow-covered trees and heavily wooded trails made the trip worth all the effort. At least, that's what I'm guessing the runners who completed this course would say: the fastest in 41 minutes!

No matter who you cheered for, these competitors were quite the inspiration to any spectator. Particularly, the oldest woman to compete: Roddie Larson, a fearless 74 year-old who appears much, much younger. If she's able to get up and go, why am I sitting on my duff? Needless to say, she took the top time in her age category.

This sport is relatively new as far as competitions go, but the group of passionate athletes have formed quite the intricate system of races, categories and aspects of the sport. There's a junior's division, age categories spanning 5 years in both women's and men's, relay races, a citizen's race for those who simply enjoy snowshoeing as leisure, numerous awards and memorials for those who have given so much time and effort to the sport, t-shirts and of course, door prizes from generous sponsors. And the winners stand atop some pretty creative award podiums of sliced sections of ancient tree stumps. Oh the grandeur to be atop one!

At the post-race dinner, I casually mentioned to my uncle that if I happened to win a pair of snowshoes from the raffle, I would run a race with him next season. As fate would have it, my ticket number was drawn and I'm destined to put my money where my mouth is next winter. At least I'll have something to train for over the summer.

Watching such dedicated and passionate athletes from all walks, ages and backgrounds of life, I have to say I'm more motivated than ever to train for my upcoming summer road race. Get in Gear is happening April 30th. Hopefully, I'll maintain this positive momentum and be ready for my first snowshoe race when the first snow falls again.

Until then, I'm looking forward to green grass, sunshine and fresh, warm air.

The weekend at Lakewoods Resort was one of the best, most relaxing and quite honestly most invigorating weekends for me in a long time. The attitude and atmosphere of friendly competitors is something I'm looking forward to at future events, even when the snow melts.

No comments:

Post a Comment