Sunday, August 1, 2010

A Seward Saturday

I actually began visiting cafes for their unique and sometimes eclectic atmospheres back in the fall of 2009. Having just moved to Minneapolis, I was new to 'big city' life where people find community in belonging to a certain neighborhood rather than just the city. And each part of town has a very distinct flavor and culture of its own. The following entry was originally inked into my personal journal, but it is worth sharing with you! I think it illustrates my overall goal and provides a baseline for future cafe visits and updates. Enjoy!

10/31/2009

Happy Halloween! I'm enjoying my Saturday morning at Seward Cafe on Franklin, reading my book for book club and just enjoying the atmosphere. It's amazing what happens when you actually get out of bed on a Saturday morning! I've come up with a fun new goal for myself: to find, visit and enjoy a wide variety of coffee shops in my area. I think it will be a fun subject for journal entries. Let me describe Seward Cafe.

It's definitely got a culture of its own. Their website told me they serve a wide variety of vegan and vegetarian options and those lifestyles are definitely evident in their decor, as well. Artwork, photos and very local neighborhood-y things line the walls, Chinese paper lanterns hang above the booths (which I'm curled up in, enjoying my coffee) and both the servers and clientele give off that hippy, urban feel. 5 o'clock shadows, distinctive glasses and decorative hats folding over their heads. Some even boast dread locks. Earthy and natural, I guess one might call it. As someone who has never been here before, my first experience has exposed me to their way of doing things.

The cook shouts your name when you order is ready to be picked up at the food window. So, I've been struggling to engross myself in my reading over the shouts of "Hey Larry!" "Hey Laurie!" "Hey Michelle!" not to mention the laughter of the group in the next room, the wet hiss of the espresso maker and the constant clanks and bangs of the baristas preparing customers' drinks. While this may not be the best place to read, this visit is definitely chock full of interesting things to witness.

Another thing to note is that they do not accept any plastic payment! Cash or check only, so the very distinct, rigid sounds and beeps of the one and only cash register have been captivating me, as well. Ahh the sounds of a coffee shop. "Hey Tyler!", oops there he goes again. Overall, this cafe exudes a neighborhood friendly, earth friendly, open and very homey feel, welcoming any and all who pass through their door.

As for the food, I don't have a good idea of the quality of vegan and vegetarian selections, as I've kept to my coffee and muffin. I imagine they might use local, fresh ingredients from the Seward Co-Op just down the street, a concept that seems to define this neighborhood. Perhaps this warrants a second visit for a chance to hear "Hey MaryEllen!"

No comments:

Post a Comment