Tuesday, August 10, 2010

A Lesson in Biking

Even though it is pouring buckets as I tat, tat, tat on the keyboard, I thought I'd share some thoughts I had during a life changing bike ride around Minneapolis:

May 14th, 2010

After an entire week of rain and dismal dreary skies, the sun has finally bestowed its warm and comforting rays upon us once again! Couldn't have had better timing for the weekend, too! Thought it might never come back. Anyways, I've been enjoying the sunshine today by biking in the parks around the Stone Arch Bridge in Minneapolis. So relaxing and nature oriented (if you can believe this is in a city!). Plenty of green all around, bustling walkers, bike commuters, kids walking with mom, lovers going for a stroll.

Me just taking it all in.

My revelation for the day came to me as I biked along St Anthony Main, weaving in and out of pedestrian traffic while admiring the quaint shops, restaurants and seemingly planted brick cobblestone streets next to me.

A rush of happiness overwhelmed me as I realized that my bike ride was more than just about myself. Diners, passers-by, motorists and pedestrians were part of my urban landscape as I rolled along; yet I was part of theirs.

I helped create the hustle and bustle of city dwellers that draws people to share a meal on the patio or people watch over a cup of coffee. Today, I felt part of a larger community, outside myself, my age, AmeriCorps even!

My participation in life affects those around me, even if in the smallest way.

Who thought a simple bike ride could show me that?

No comments:

Post a Comment